visual illusion/pain?

Ron Blue rcb1 at LEX.LCCC.EDU
Wed Nov 1 09:13:37 EST 1995

Does anyone know how I can get a copy of a visual illusion that causes
pain?  My understanding is that it looks like a circle with vertical
lines inside.
Ron Blue

Why?

"Paradoxical integration is illustrated with the Thunberg thermal grill
illusion.  Using alternating tubes of warm and cold water to generate
contradictory stimulation individuals report intense pain.  Craig and
Bushnell (1994) suggest that the integration in the thalamic region of
the brain best explains this illusion.  The integration result from the
joining of two unmasked simple models of central disinhibition.  COP
theory suggests that the firing of individual nerve cells would create
a unique wave function for a particular sensory system and experience.
These sensory systems then create waves or wavelets.  A wave generator
for warm and a wave generator for cold with increasing signals up to a
maximum signal strength.  In the integrative systems of the brain these
wavelets would result in producing an integrative opponent-processing
wavelet.  This wavelet created by interaction results in the perception
of pain."