LTP in hippocampus

Stephan Anagnostaras stephan at psych.ucla.edu
Thu Nov 2 03:41:35 EST 1995

In article <KEVIN.95Nov1110807 at gaba>, kevin at head.neurology.wisc.edu wrote:

> >   I was wondering if anyone can give me any sources or any information
> >   on LTP in the hippocampus. I just want to first, get an overview of such
> >    a phenomena, which I hope can then allow me to delve into the subject
> >   matter a bit more deeply.
> >
> >   Thanking you in advance,
> >
> >   John B.
>
> I have attached some citations... Although, I am not an experienced
> physiologist, I am skeptical about the role ltp in the hippocampus.
> The paradigms used require an unusual amount of stimulation.  LTP

Many paradigms do not require unusual stimuilation - in fact, it's very
easy to get LTP in the hippocampus. I have no doubt that LTP is important
in the hippocampus - the doubt arises as to what its role is in learning,
etc.  In any case, there are lots of normal stimulation paradigms,
e.g., theta burst stimulation or paired stimulation - the latter
barely requires much stimulation.

--
STEPHAN ANAGNOSTARAS                   UCLA BEHAVIORAL NEUROSCIENCE
STEPHAN at PSYCH.UCLA.EDU