cortical-spinal conections

Stephen Lessnick stevel at ucla.edu
Fri Nov 3 00:50:34 EST 1995

I have recently been asked to find info on the following, but have not
been particularly successful.  Does anyone have information regarding:

1)  Why (from a teleological {sp?} point of view) does the right
hemisphere control (and receive information predominantly from) the left
side of the body and visa-versa?  I'm sure there have been a number of
theories advanced.  If you have references for the theories it would be
really helpful.

2)  When in evolution does this pattern of crossed connections arise?

Thanks!