Split-brain/consciousness

Ron Blue rcb1 at LEX.LCCC.EDU
Thu Nov 2 14:42:28 EST 1995

> > Donna Tabish (102703.3346 at CompuServe.COM) wrote:
> > : I would like to know if anyone has, is doing research on, is
> > : interested in, or knows internet locations of information
> > : concerning the possible correlation/similarities between the
> > : effect on consciousness/personality of the split-brain (either by
> > : surgery or in early developmental years) and the phenomena of
> > : dissociation/dissociated identity.
>>>>>CUT>>>
> Either way, the situations are quite dissimilar. In the one case the two
> halves of the brain are severed from one another and the brain is thus
> hard-wired for dissociation. As far as I am aware, there is no evidence for
> any anatomical dissociation in multiple personality syndrome patients, and
> this might be considered a more "functional" problem.
I disagree.  Oliver Sachs reported that one of his patients while having
a migraine aura had the separation of self into two consciousness.
This can be understood as the self as an attractor of all experiences.
When the migraine created choas two selves were created.  When the
client tried to integrate them back into each other they could not.
It sort like a disk balanced on a stick.  When it is sent viberating
wildly.  Two centers emerge oscillating around the really center.

Further support was collected with vestibular stimulation.  A woman
who was paralyzed in her arm due to brain damage (Science News, October
21, 1995 page 271) was NOT conscious of her condition.  When cold
water was put in her ear she now knew she was paralyzed.  When the
effect wore off she now knew she was NOT paralyzed even though she was.
She denied ever saying she was paralyzed and did not remember the
events.
  In Nature 31 August 1995 page 778
researcher G. Bottini, E. Paulesu, R. Sterzl, E. Warburton, R.J.S. Wise,
G. Vallar, R.S.J. Frackowlak, & C. D. Frith in their article "Modulation
of conscious experience by peripheral sensory stimuli"  revealed that
cold water ran in the ear of brain damaged patient who had lost the
sense of touch regain the sense temporally.  "We show that in normal
subjects touch and vestibular signals share projectionss to the putamen,
insula, somatosensory area II, premotor cortex and supramarginal gyrus.  In
our patient a subset of theres regions (right putamen and insula) was
pared by the lesion and was maximally active when touch and vestibular
stimulations were combined." (Bottini & etc. 1995)

All these example suggest correlational opponent processing to me.
Ron Blue