placebo effects and opioids

Jason Kennerly jkenner at cello.gina.calstate.edu
Fri Nov 3 12:58:57 EST 1995

silmorat at usp.br writes:
> A couple of years ago someone told me pacebo effects could be blocked by
> naloxone (or was it naltrexone?). I got back to the topic and now I need a
> reference. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.

Its not blocking _placebo_ folks... its blocking _endorphins_. Endorphins
may be made by a placebo effect (a psychological condition) but
describing a chemical as blocking a placebo effect is, well, a strange
way of putting anything.

If there is an apparently active chemical in use, distinguishable from an
ACTUAL placebo, then the chemical is not a placebo. Just because it might
have an opposite effect to another drug doesnt mean its blocking a
placebo effect that emulates that other drug - it may very well do
something quite the opposite!

I read a study that suggested that said that naloxone was extremely
effective vs. placebo in blocking the experience of religious euphoria in
churchgoers... which I thought was quite funny in light of the Marxist
position on religion (opiate of the masses)... anyways, no one else
laughed, so....

--
    /    \ |      \|   /\   |     \   jkenner at cello.gina.calstate.edu
  /___/\   \___|>   >       |__|>   > BORN TO BE WIRED...
 /         |       /   /\  |       /  All the sugar and twice the
 \_________|______/|___\/__|______/   caffeine of regular netusers!
 finger me and make a pgp key come.