FBS trouble

ivette emery iemery1 at cc.swarthmore.edu
Fri Nov 3 16:49:54 EST 1995

I have had contamination in the last three bottles of FBS that I
purchased from GIBCO (Life technologies).  After plating out 3 mls
of FBS from previously unopened bottles, and incubating at 25oC
overnight I see tiny organisms; I think is bacteria.  These little
bugs go through 0.2um filters and are resistant to the Penn/Strep
in my media.  I have been extra careful in handeling the FBS in my hood
to be sure I am not introducing the contamination myself and I have
scrubbed my incubator to make sure it is not coming from there.
Luckily, the replacement bottle that GIBCO sent me, that came in a
plastic bottle, as opposed to the glass bottles I had, seems free of
my mysterious bug.  Has anyone else had this problem?

Ivette