Fwd: Dementia in Schizophrenic Patients

Jean Linn myclonus at IX.NETCOM.COM
Sat Nov 4 14:34:44 EST 1995

---- Begin Forwarded Message

From: Chen-Jee Hong <cjhong at isc1.VghTpe.Gov.TW>
Subject: Re: Your Usenet Post
content-length: 1381

A siginificant proportion of schizophrenic patients become markedly
demented after decades (or even years) of the schizophrenia. Does
anybody agree that these patients constitute a subtype (or subgroup) of
schizophrenia? Could these patients given a diagnosis of "Dementia due
to schizophrenia" or "Dementia not otherwise specified"? What will be
the adequate criteria defining these patients? How could I
differentiate "schizophrenic dementia" from negative symptoms or
psychotic irrelevance of schizophrenia?

I am interested in comparing patients with Alzheimer's disease and
dementia due to schizophrenia. Any comments on this issue will be
highly appreciated.

Chen-Jee Hong, M.D.
Molecular Genetic Lab
Department of Psychiatry
Veterans General Hospital-Taipei
Taipei, Taiwan
Fax: (H)886-2-8742441, (O)886-2-8757592
e-mail: cjhong at vghtpe.gov.tw

[forwarded to list by Jean Linn, Houston TX]

--
(myclonus at ix.netcom.com)