Reason for crossed projections in the nervous system?

Matt Jones jonesmat at
Mon Nov 6 12:21:41 EST 1995

In article <rambis.815616371 at> Paul L Pearson,
rambis at writes:
>Can anyone give me a solid hypothesis for why the left side of the body
>is controlled by the right side of the brain and vice versa?  This

Here's one hypothesis I heard in an undergraduate class. I have no idea
whether there's any evidence.

Early swimming animals evolved crossed projections from the visual system
to the motor systems, so that an object perceived on one side of the body
would cause contraction of the muscles on the opposite side, leading to a
swimming movement away from the object (escape).