hypoxia and aphasia

Richard I. Pollack rpoll at ix.netcom.com
Tue Nov 7 00:28:43 EST 1995

>I have just seen a 7 yr old girl who suffered a hypoxic event after
t&a.
>Symptoms are of mild aphasia - comprehension, wordfinding,
phonological
>processing, some attention.  Verbal & nonverbal memory is excellent -
>which was a surprise.  Is this a likely scenario?

Forgive me for jumping in, even though my experience is with adults and
older children.

Concentration, word finding, and memory (did you check delayed recall?
or recall under an interference condition?) are the most likely
problems one would expect in an adult or older child. Phonological
processing is not typically affected, but perhaps since it's a newly
acquired skill in a 7 y.o.?

The other thing to check would be some complex problem solving. WISC-3
block design, maybe a Bender, Reitan's marching test ... something like
that.

And, what does t&a stand for, in this context?

Rick