NEUROANATOMY: Backwardness of human neuroanatomy

Alan J. Robinson robin073 at maroon.tc.umn.edu
Tue Nov 7 09:48:14 EST 1995

On Mon, 6 Nov 1995 20:57:10 -0500,
Jim Kohl  <jkohl at vegas.infi.net > wrote:

>The mammalian gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) neuronal system also
>seems to be fairly well mapped. It's linkage to olfaction is of interest
>to me because of the olfactory-neuroendocrine-behavioral model (social
>environmental chemical stimuli (pheromones) appear to activate genes in
>GnRH neurosecretory neurons, which influences GnRH pulsatility,
>luteinizing hormone/follicle stimulating hormone ratios, steroidogenesis,
>and thus behavior.
>
>Anyway, is there someone who can help me locate a good source that
>details the location of GnRH neurons in primates as well as which of the
>structures in which they are found can be considered part of the limbic
>system? The location of GnRH receptors would also be a plus in my
>literature review geared towards integrating facets of human chemical
>communication with a psychoneuroendocrine model of behavioral
>development.

Jim:

I'm not familiar in detail with the GnRH system, but I have a couple of
general comments re brain functional neuroanatomy.  I've read on several
occasions about the Human Brain Project, which appears to be a pet
project of Floyd Bloom, who is now Editor-In-Chief of Science.  The
idea is to collect all this type of information and make it available
in computer graphic form for viewing by neuroscientists.  I believe
that NIMH is the home for the Project, but I have no information as
to its current status.

A complicating factor in brain functional anatomy is that functions do
not appear to be rigidly tied to locations - a function can be
distributed over many structures, and even the locations themselves
can change as a result of central or peripheral neural damage.  There
may not even be exact correspondence between different animals of the
same species.

A couple of classic examples - even though the hypothalamus is one of
the most critical organs of the body, an animal can largely survive
its slow destruction over a period of several weeks; and the rage
response in the cat can be triggered at three different sites - the
amygdala, the hypothalamus, and the periaqueductal grey.  Because the
hypothalamic site was the first discovered, it lead to the erroneous
conclusion that the hypothalamus was the seat of emotions in the body,
an error which is still sometimes repeated in the literature
today.

This whole area of the brain and its functioning is obviously of the
utmost importance for its integration of all the different
physiological homoestatic, brain state, and emotional aspects of
animal behavior.  Some aspects appear to be better understood than
others - there still appear to be major gaps in the brain-immune
system connection.  The hypothalamic neural location for the
sympathetic "fight or flight" reaction was announced this week in
Science, even though it has been known about since the early part of
this century.  And the molecular action of how glucocorticoids
suppress the immune system was only announced the previous week in
Science.

PS: the author of the Gonadotropins article in the Encyclopedia of
Neuroscience is Charles H. Sawyer of UCLA.  You should be able to
locate a comprehensive review article in the literature using Medline.

AJR