inquiry about in vivo microdialysis

D. Mccrossan PHSDMC at leeds.ac.uk
Wed Nov 8 00:41:49 EST 1995

In article
<smith.1399.1.309D6B06 at postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu>,
   smith.1399 at postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu (bradley steven
smith) wrote:
>I am a student at Ohio State University in search of
information, any
>information, about in vivo microdialysis. Is this
technique appropriate for
>animal behavioral studies or is there too much hardware
in the way? What are
>the types of compounds that can be assayed for? A library
search on the
>subject has turned up little. How can I learn the
technique? Any information
>at all would be appreciated.

In vivo microdialysis has been proved to be valid
technique in behavioural neuropharmacology.  However,
because you are yielding such small amounts of
transmitter/metabolite etc... quite extreme maneovers are
required to stimulate a significant release.

The great advantage of microdialysis at the moment is the
ability to collect endogenous glutamate.  Aspartate can
also be collected.  Detection of these amino acids can be
achieved on line either by HPLC or capillary
electrophoresis.  The Physiology and Pharmacology
department at Nottingham University, UK have these
techniques down to an art.

More info available if you want..

Damian.