oocytes not expressing

Quoc Thang NGUYEN qnguyen at parker.bio.uci.edu
Wed Nov 8 13:22:45 EST 1995

> Does anyone know why RNA injected into oocytes sometimes gets translated ,
>and sometimes not ! . Please answer if you have experience in expressing
>ligand gated receptors.
>Thank you in anticipation
>
>R.Hughes

	Dear Mr. Hughes,

I asked the same question a few months ago. The most interesting answer
was from a gentleman reporting that his oocytes were not expressing, due
to the fact that the light timer in the animal room was broken. After
fixing it, the problem went away.

We have been experiencing your problem mostly with mRNA from tissue (as
opposed to mRNA from cDNA transcription); the most affected receptor
is the GABAA one. I don't know if this is the cause, but the temperature
of the water holding the frog is 13oC (yes, in Southern California...).

I hope more people will post their experience (and hopefully, some
useful hints)!

	Yours sincerely,

Quoc Thang NGUYEN
Laboratory of Cellular and