Cervical Spine Fusion Surgery

William S. Rosenberg William.Rosenberg at Uc.Edu
Wed Nov 8 17:29:55 EST 1995

>I am seeking information on cervical spine fusion surgery.  I have disk prolapse at C5-C6 with loss of strenth and constant tingling in my right arm and hand.  I live in Germany.  Two noted neurosurgeons here have recommended the fusion procedure taught/develope by Dr. Wofhard Caspar at the University of the Saarland in Homburg.  Is Germany the best place to have this done?  Is this procedure likely to have a high probability of success?  I am an ultra-distance runner and want to return to hard running.

>Is this the same operation Lou Holtz recently had?  Is the Mayo Clinic the best place to go.
>I will deeply appreciate your responses.
>
>Edward M. Stadum
>100322.110 at compuserve.com

This is a very common operation for neurosurgeons, and, yes it is the same type of operation that Lou Holtz had. While it's
not tremendously difficult, I do recommend getting somthe first opportunity. I wouldn't necessarily go all over the place to find someone and, no, the Mayo is not necessarily the
"best" place to go - but I'm sure they're very competent there.

I'm a neurosurgeon specializing in complex spine problems and I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have - just
email me.

Division of Neurotrauma and Critical Care