help on cruetzfelft jacobs disease (sp?)

Charles Hokanson phnxbmed at ix.netcom.com
Sun Nov 12 15:27:00 EST 1995

Recently a friend was diagnosed with Cruetzfeldt Jacobs Disease (sp?).
I recall reading several posts on the subject here, but I can't go back
far enough to pick up the thread.

I would appreciate if someone could re-post on the symptoms and
etiology.  Additionally, as I recall, this is a degenerative nervous
disorder which is somehow related to inffected cattle.

How is it contracted?  Is it likely that a lifelong vegitarian could
contract this disease.

In the case of my friend, I have the suspicion that the attending
physician is baffled and is throwing out this diagnosis (as the disease
du jour) to placate the family.  Although I know that the prognosis for
such an affliction is not good.

Would appreciate any guidance or direction to other internet sources
where more informatin could be had.

Thanks, in advance.

CH