Parkinsons treatment: transplants?

jonny swallow at
Mon Nov 13 21:02:27 EST 1995

I remember reading at some point about transplants for the treatment of
Parkinson's disease.  The treatment involved transplanting other glands
capable of producing dopamine (or possibly other chemicals that could be
converted or used as replacements) from other parts of the body.

At the time the treatment was still in experimental stages in the US, and I
haven't heard much about it since then.  Is it possible that somebody could
point me in the direction of some references for this treatment, or perhaps
somebody could sum up for me where this treatment has gone.  Thanks for your

HISTORY, n.  An account mostly false, of events mostly unimportant, which
are brought about by rulers mostly knaves, and soldiers mostly fools.
			_The Devil's Dictionary_
swallow at
jklein at