MELATONINE

MJR A0601NCG at PCSERV.UNIVIE.AC.AT
Tue Nov 14 10:44:47 EST 1995

In (at least) central Europe there is inthe moment a strong discussion
on melatonine and both its natural function as a hormon as well as an
important substance in medcine.
As far as I learned from (non up to date) literature
* titres are twice as high during sleep (night ?)
* certain karzinomas of rectus (?) are indicated by an higher release (?)
  of melatonine
* an effector function is induction of sleep
* effects as an anti oxidantional substance or induces release of rducticing
  substances
I would be interested in any news on regulation, receptors and further
descriptions of new (effector) functions.
Maybe we will restart a discussion on melatonine here ?

Martin
Austria