(none)

Luciano da Fontoura Costa luciano at OLIVE.IFQSC.SC.USP.BR
Tue Nov 14 09:22:13 EST 1995

14th Nov 95

Dear Friends:

We at the Cybernetic Vision Research Group (University of
Sao Paulo, Brazil) are currently developing a project
aimed at the morphometric characterization of neural
cells and strucutres which will also address the
relationship shape/function of neurons.  We have been
assessing traditional techniques such as the characterization
of dendritic arborizations through fractal dimension as well
as developing some new measurements.

Since our basic background is in computer vision and image
processing, we do not have access to a lab for histological
preparations, but we have access to an Axiolab microscope and
an electronic imaging system.

We are thus seeking collaborations and/or help
from research groups which could supply some complimentary
histological slides.  We are particularly interested in
retinal ganglion cells and general cortical cells, but
histological slides of invertebrates will also be of great
help.  Images or image sequences of neural cells and structures
would also be most welcome.

In case you are interested in collaborating or just in giving
us a hand, please contact Luciano Costa at the address below.

We thank you in advance for your kind attention.

Regards,  Luciano Costa

Luciano da Fontoura Costa
Cybernetic Vision Research Group
IFSC - Universidade de Sao Paulo
Caixa Postal 369, Sao Carlos, SP
13560-970
Brazil

FAX:     +55 (162) 71 3616
e-mail:  Luciano at ifqsc.sc.usp.br
WWW:     http://scorpions.ifqsc.sc.usp.br/ifsc/ffi/grupos/instrum/visao/
           group/members/luciano/luciano.htm

"The real danger is not that computers will begin to think like men, but that
 men will begin to think like computers."       - Sydney Harris