Hearing... (fwd)

Ron Blue rcb1 at LEX.LCCC.EDU
Wed Nov 15 08:19:50 EST 1995

Comments?  Ron Blue

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 15 Nov 1995 04:29:32 GMT
From: Cool <an417702 at anon.penet.fi>
To: audiolog at net.bio.net
Subject: Re: Hearing...

 She has
>had a tympanoplasty in one ear so far (the ear with 50 dB loss) which now
>is at approximately 10 dB across the board.  What is interesting is that she
>says she does not really notice any change in her hearing.... If she basically
>grew up with such a loss, does anyone have any comments on why she does not
>notice much os a change...
>
>Jeff

Hey, Jeff. Sounds kind of wierd until you connect this case with the new
studies coming out about the long term effects of monaural hearing
aid use. I'm sorry, I don't have the citations, as I am at home, not the
office, but it seems to me that in HI or HR or maybe E&H there have been some
 studies reported that many people over a long enough span, begin to lose the
ability for binaural fusion. Apparently the neural connections in the inferior
colliculus, or wherever, lose their common connection. This might explain your
patients dilemma, she has no sense of binaural fusion.
Whatta ya think?
Cool