WARNING! Aspartame (Nutrasweet) Labelling Need

john cox j.e.cox at cranfield.ac.uk
Thu Nov 16 12:56:30 EST 1995

I have wondered if, since aspartame is actually a modified form off
phenylalanine, metabolism in phenylketonuria sufferers would leadd
to the same symptomes as phenylalanine itself.  Is the phenylalanine
actually released from the molecule or is aspartame a substrate for
the enzymes invovled in phenylalanine degradation?
On a second note, does anyone know of any reported psychoactive
properties of aspartame as this molecule is chemically related
to neurotransmitters such as L-DOPA?  My own e
experience with aspartame makes me think that there is some
subtle effect that may only be evident during periods of
suppressed neurotransmitter activity.

Sorry if this has been
asked before: I haven't read this newsgroup befgre.

John E. Cox
Biotechnology Centre
Cranfield University, UK

Please feel free to e-mail any responses

j.e.cox at cranfield.ac.uk