Aluminum Cookware Hazards??

Sandra L Wegert sandraw at U.Arizona.EDU
Sat Nov 18 03:25:26 EST 1995

> We are looking for any info available on the possible link between too much
> aluminum in the human system and the occurance of Alzheimer's disease.
>
> Our chef is wanting to look at any stats/info/opinions associated with the
> long time use of aluminum cookware as it relates to an over-abundance of
> aluminum in the body and a possible relationship to Alzheimers.

Hi,
What we've been taught in our toxicology classes is that there is NO
danger from cookware.  The aluminum just simply doesn't get in when
injested orally.  Or the little which does get in is "disposed" of with no
problems.  AlOH in spray deoderants could potentially pose a problem
however, since it's inhaled, but nobody knows for sure.  The incidence of
toxicity from everday exposure is certainly very very low.  Also there is
no causative correlation between Al and Alzheimer's.  There is excess Al
in the brains of Alzheimer patients, but it's only because brain
metabolism has gone wacky for some other reason.
Hope this helps.
Sandra (Still using the aluminum pots)