Simple test for ADD????? Just a theory

Robert Searfoss rlsrls at ix.netcom.com
Sun Nov 19 07:41:39 EST 1995

In <JOHNZ.95Nov18094614 at garner.cs.indiana.edu> johnz at cs.indiana.edu
(John B. Zuckerman) writes:

>In article <48dcdj$hsg at news.wco.com> Della Noche <dnoche at mail.wco.com>
writes:

>You want to check out everything you can rather than just accepting a
>"pop" diagnosis....  A friend of mine was told by her son's fourth
grade teacher at a Los Angeles public elemntary school that he would
not be
>allowed to come to school unless he had a Ritalin Rx for what *she*
>thought was ADD.
>
>Your report of your friend's experience is troubling.  It is well
>known (to experts, that is) that ADHD is a diagnosis of exclusion and
>that many other problems should be considered first, including LD and
>dyslexia.

Preliminary research indicates that SOME individuals presenting ADD
behaviors have a problem that may be called "constricted visual
performance field".  This may be described as being something like
tunnel vision.  More research is needed to describe the problem.  The
measurement of the fields can be done in about 4 to five minutes with a
simple table-top device that holds a sheet of black paper in front of
the individual. The individual, one eye covered at a time, looks at a
center point on the paper.  A small white dot "target" from well off to
the side, is moved slowly toward the center of the paper.  When the
individual notices the target a grease pencil is used to mark a point
at that place.  The target is brought in from a variety of radials, and
a variety of points are recorded.  Then a continuous line is drawn from
one point to the next forming a kind of "circle" on the paper.  When
the results of "charts" of many people are reviewed, most individuals
produce what may be described as a large circle; some produce smaller
"constricted" circles.  Those producing the smaller circles are often
in a group of individuals having learning, behavior, attention
problems.

More research is needed on this.  However it seems that some
individuals being diagnosed as suffering ADD may have a vision field
problem that can be easily shown.  Of course the visual field problem
may be a result of the ADD, however there are a growing number of cases
where, when the fields are expanded with various methods, including
proper eyeglasses, the individual experiences considerable improvement.

I have a 20 minute videotape that shows several people being evaluated
for visual performance fields.  While I want to make this tape
available, I want to avoid being seen as advertising here.  Having a
tape copied and sent costs money and I can't afford to just give this
away.  I will send a tape to you for $20.  That about covers what it
costs. so if you want a tape please give e-mail address and I will
correspond further.

I am planning in 1996 to support formal research at two or three
colleges and have posted this interest.  If you know of a graduate
student who wants to do fundamental work with this, please have them
e-mail me: rlsrls at ix.netcom.com

In summary:  Some of the individuals being treated for ADD are likely
to have an easily shown visual field problem.  If it is only one in a
hundred, it is worth taking five minutes with all of them to find out
for that one.  I think so anyway.