Parkinsons treatment: transplants?

David Bovee dbovee at
Sun Nov 19 00:25:04 EST 1995

In article <bd7cb$1521b.122 at>, swallow at ivy.geek.netr says...
>I remember reading at some point about transplants for the treatment of
>Parkinson's disease.  The treatment involved transplanting other glands
>capable of producing dopamine (or possibly other chemicals that could be
>converted or used as replacements) from other parts of the body.
>At the time the treatment was still in experimental stages in the US, and I
>haven't heard much about it since then.  Is it possible that somebody could
>point me in the direction of some references for this treatment, or perhaps
>somebody could sum up for me where this treatment has gone.  Thanks for your
	Clinical researchers at the Univ. of Colo. School of Medicine have been
working with fetal brain tissue transplants.  I cannot recall the name of the
MD/PhD who is doing the work, but perhaps a medline search for this subject
might give you more info.  Please let me know what you find or I can be of any
further help.

David Bovee
Dept. of Chemistry
University of Denver