Parkinsons treatment: transplants?

David Bovee dbovee at phoebe.cair.du.edu
Sun Nov 19 00:25:04 EST 1995

In article <bd7cb$1521b.122 at news.hampshire.edu>, swallow at ivy.geek.netr says...

>I remember reading at some point about transplants for the treatment of
>Parkinson's disease.  The treatment involved transplanting other glands
>capable of producing dopamine (or possibly other chemicals that could be
>converted or used as replacements) from other parts of the body.
>
>At the time the treatment was still in experimental stages in the US, and I
>haven't heard much about it since then.  Is it possible that somebody could
>point me in the direction of some references for this treatment, or perhaps
>somebody could sum up for me where this treatment has gone.  Thanks for your
>time.

	Clinical researchers at the Univ. of Colo. School of Medicine have been
working with fetal brain tissue transplants.  I cannot recall the name of the
MD/PhD who is doing the work, but perhaps a medline search for this subject
might give you more info.  Please let me know what you find or I can be of any
further help.

--
David Bovee
Dept. of Chemistry