MITRAGYNINE:A very little known psychotropic molecule from MITRAGYNA SPECIOSA

Keneth Grandchamp grandcha at cmu.unige.ch
Fri Nov 10 10:06:03 EST 1995

Mitragynine
Mitragynine,a very little known alkaloid from Mitragyna speciosa.
--------------
The mitragyna-tree is a tree growing in Thailand and,locally,known as
"Cratome".It contains an unusual,poorly-known, psychotropic molecule called
mitragynine.Mitragynine is reported by local people as having tranquillising
properties,at low doses,shifting to stimulant properties at higher doses! I
have experimented with,apparently,low doses consisting of three smoken
leaves(leaves of the mitragyna-tree are fairly equal in size),in order to
collect first-hand information about the psychotropic effects of
mitragynine.What I observed,subjectively,more or less reminds the effects of
the serotonin re-uptake blockers,such as zimelidine or
fluvoxamine.Mitragynine,mainly,blocks motivations and induce
indifference,together with a strong sense of laziness! Everything becomes
borring to do.It would be interesting to know if mitragynine has serotonin
re-uptake blocking properties.If someone is working on mitragynine I would be
happy to know about his or her research.It would also be interesting to
investigate mitra
gynine and the negative schizophrenic symptoms(blunting of emotions).
Claude Rifat using Ken Grandchamp account