CONSCIOUS DREAMS,SCHIZOPHRENIA,etc

Keneth Grandchamp grandcha at cmu.unige.ch
Fri Nov 10 10:42:25 EST 1995

Rêve Conscient
Conscious Dreams
---------------------------
I have discovered conscious dreams in I976 and published about that in
I979/I98O/I98I in France.In my articles I described what distinguishes
this form of dream from normal oneiric phenomena.Conscious dream
is,wrongly,called "lucid" dream in english.I will describe,here,a simple
and efficient method in order to induce this kind of dream.Moreover,I
strongly believe that when most people will be able to
enter,voluntarily,in the virtual world of their dream world this will
change,drastically,society.Manipul
ating your own mind in conscious dreams cannot be compared with the
highly primitive manipulations of computer generated virtual realities...
It is far more easy to enjoy the virtual reality which is in your own
mind than trying to enjoy primitive virtual realities generated by
computers! To that effect,you need no money,nothing,except exercising!

How to achive conscious dreams
In order to become proficient in conscious dreams you need to exercise at
least one hour per night,very,very regularly.Regularity is of prime
importance in order to be able to penetrate,voluntarily,in your
endogenous world or ENDOREALITY.Going,at will,in your endoreality is one
of the most rewarding experience you can have in your life as you enter
in the reality which is completely yours and where no body,no Inquisitor
can follow you to prevent you from just enjoying yourself.When you can
achieve this,t
he exogenous reality or EXOREALITY become less "real",less stressing,less
borring as you can,now,consider willingly exoreality as dream-like,even
it is not a dream! But being able to consider exoreality as
oneiric-like,oneiric-mimetic,gives you much more freedom and
self-confidence as you have now new values,new ways of seeings things.
So here are the exercises you should,regularly,do in order to learn to
penetrate consciously in your endoreality:
I.Before going to sleep,sit or lie in your bed for at least 3O minutes.
2.In total darkness,just FOCUS your attention on darkness and try to
VISUALISE simple images,like the image of a triangle,a square,a leaf,or
something which gives you pleasure.For instance,focusing your visual
attention on sexual images will ameliorate your concentration!
If you are a man you can focus your attention on images of a breast,of
buttocks,of legs,etc
If you are a woman focus your attention on a part of man's anatomy which
triggers your sexual desires.
The purpose of this exercise is to teach you how to
activate,specifically,some of your memory zones in order to achieve the
generation of controlled hallucinations.This is a very difficult exercise
but it will train your consciousness to control itself.
In the beginning if you focus your attention on,let say,a triangle,you
will observe the appearance of a faint triangular shape in the darkness
and you will discover that this triangle will have a strong tendency to
move,rotate,or simply disappear to be replaced by another faint
image.Such faint images are called DISSATENUATED images.A clear and
controlled hallucinated image is called a completely disattenuated
image,while faint images are called partially disattenuated images.We
will explain this later.

To see a memorised image as clearly as a real image means that you
activate the metabolism of a memory zone where this image is
stored.Selective metabolic activation of memory zones gives you a lot of
power in your dreams and,also,surprisingly,in the exoreality where we all
live.
3.While focusing your attention on INFORMATIONAL OBJECTS(a stored image
of an object perceived in exoreality is called likewise)try your best to
forget the boundaries of your body.
4.Try not to move at all and breathe deeply and regularly,like someone
who is sleeping.
5.When 3O minutes or more have elapsed,just go to sleep but you still
have to wake up in the early morning!
6.Wake up early in the morning,between 4 or 5 and just repeat the whole
exercise.
After some weeks or months of such a training it will,once,happen that
you will make your first conscious dream,in the second phase of your
exercise,that is in early morning.You will remember that as an
extraordinary experience as you will discover that reality is only made
of perceptions.Reality for all of us is what we consciously perceive.It
does not matter from where the incoming information flows,from exoreality
or endoreality.Evolution has put in our central nervous system(C.N.S)a
mechanism which e
rases the consciousness of our dreams.If it did not do so,all of us would
have chosen to live in our respective endorealities and our species would
just be extinct!
Just see how people are running into exceedingly primitive
computer-generated virtual realities.Imagine what would happen if all
people could go,at will,in the ultimate virtual reality of their own
mind!!! The mercantilistic society which now prevails would just become
extinct as,in our endoreality,we can achieve everything we want at no
cost at all.The only cost is learning.Life would me more tranquil as
people would cease to compete and to run,desperately,after "exoreal"
objects in order to run,instead
,after their own informational objects...
The discovery of our endoreality will be the new "alphabetisation" of the
human kind as this will be a complete revolution which will transform our
societies in ways we cannot yet imagine.

There are two ways of penetrating into a conscious dream
----------
I.In the first case,when you will do your second round of exercises,now
lying in your bed,you will notice the following phenomena which will tell
you that you are on the verge of crossing the frontier between exoreality
and endoreality:you may notice a buzzing sound in your ears or,more
often,you will feel,suddenly,that your body "becomes light" and moves
upwards.Then you may,all of a suddeen,see a very bright three dimensional
image just in front of your eyes.Do not become excited,do not panic! Stay
ver
y calm because if you become excited or even just move your finger,then
the marvellous image will instantly disappear and you will have lost the
opportunity to make your first exploration of your endoreality! Be
tranquil,observe the image.Suddenly,you will become a part of this image
and you will find yourself with an informational body,that is an oneiric
body which is,exactly,like your exoreal body.Do not be too
excited.Breathe slowly now that you are in your dream reality!Then go for
exploration.
2.In the second case,you will feel the same phenomena but no image will
appear and you may just think you are still in your exoreal bed.Don't be
so sure! Leave your bed and try to put some light.If you fail,this may
mean you actually penetrated in your endoreality as,often,in conscious
dreams lights do not turn on.If there is no light,just open your
window.Then look at your room for details.Is everything in its correct
place? If your room differs from your normal room,then you can be sure
you are in a dr
eam and,of course,if you slept at let say 4:3O and when you opened your
window you discovered a full sunny day,with modifications of the
surroudings,you will now,for sure know that you successfully
penetrated,consciously,into your own memory!Then do the same as explained
before:go for exploration,quietly.If you do not remain calm,you may just
wake up.

What to do in a Conscious Dream?
This is not an obvious question.The first thing you should do in a
conscious dream is just to observe your endoreality and compare it with
exoreality.Try to meet oneiric people,speak with them,kiss them if you
like,etc! After a while you will fully realise that endoreality and
exoreality are similarly vivid,"real" and that you were,before,just like
a child who never learned to read.You did not know that so many things
happened in your mind when you were sleeping!You
always,erroneously,believed that "drea
ms" were "only" dreams and could be distinguished from exoreality.And you
believed so because you suffered from amnesia due to lack of training.You
will realise,especially if you are a neuroscientist,that there are no
clear-cut differences between the two realities except that both obey to
different laws:exoreality obeys to the physical laws discovered by
Science and endoreality obeys to the laws of the neurophysiology of
memory.You will soon discover that exoreality is devoid of
EXTRAORDINARITY while en
doreality is full of extraordinarity.In your endoreality any
extraordinary thing can happen:you may speak to a cat or be transformed
into a woman,if you are a woman;you may transform yourself in another
person or in a passion-fruit flower,you may become,simultaneously,two or
three persons AT THE SAME TIME,etc.
You can divide yourself into two persons,let say a woman and a man,and
just,then,make love with yourself! This is an extraordinary fullfilling
experience which cannot be described in exoreal terms.You have to
discover it by yourself.All these virtual experiences will make you see
exoreality into a totally transformed way as,endoreality,will then be to
you like a space of great freedom while exoreality will be considered
like a form of prison,because exoreality is,totally,devoid,of
extraordinarity.
Slowly,slowly you will also get a sense that exoreality is,perhaps,not as
real as we think but that it might be just a part of an unknown
hyper-reality of which we are totally unaware.Already modern physicists
can guess of such hyper-realities into which our own reality would only
be a small,"illusory",part.For instance,Andréï Linde,a renown
physicist,described a model of the universe(called the inflationnary
fractal universe)which just looks like what we could guess of
hyper-reality.
When you are in a conscious dream,you will first enjoy,meet loving women
or men,make oneiric friends,visit Tahiti or Havai'i(Hawaii),the moon or
mars,etc.Of course all these experiences are imaginary but so is
imaginary your own life in exoreality!
After that,you should analyse the oneiric world,for instance you can try
now to evaluate what is the degree of freedom that you and your oneiric
partners have in the endoreality.Doing this,you will,one day,discover
that oneiric people are HYBRIDS between yourself and between what you
think you know about others.For instance,oneiric people can answer to any
question the same exoreal people could not answer.They can be influenced
by your thoughts,etc.They are not always free to behave like they do
and,most
 often,their volition is very weak in front of your own volition.
There are a lot of things to explore and analyse in conscious dreams. I
will explain,now, some of the things I have discovered,since I976,when I
first penetrated into a conscious dream.

About different states of consciousness and "new" concepts(I976)
----------------------

I will explain,later,in more details,why I call hallucinations
"disattenuated images".Basically,this stems from the fact that our brain
is equipped with a structure called the ATTENUATOR of which the function
is to control,like a kind of potentiometer,the quantity of information
flowing from memory to consciousness.An imaginary image of an exoreal
object is,thus,a fully attenuated image while the same hallucinated image
is called a fully disattenuated image.When we dream the Attenuator ceases
functioning
 and so information flows freely and unhampered to
consciousness.Hallucinogens are,in fact,disattenuating molecules while
serotoninergics,like the specific serotonin re-uptake blockers,are
pro-attenuation molecules meaning that they increase the degree of
attenuation of recalled stored memories.Conversly,disattenuating
molecules increase the degree of informational flow from memory to
consciousness.This process is called "disattenuation".
The brain is also equipped of another very important structure called,in
French,the Dérepixélisateur,which could be translated,into english,as the
"Disrepixelisator" or D.R.P.The DRP is responsible of the continuity of
our consciousness during waking time.During dreaming,the DRP also stops
functionning,thus introducing discontinuity in our thoughts which become
fragmented,like in schizophrenia.In fact,schizophrenia is,essentially,a
disease of the DRP which is malfunctioning.The DRP is so responsible for
the normality of our consciousness during our waking time.We do not know
yet which brain structures are involved in the DRP but one structure
which seems to be a part of this system is the hippocampus.
The DRP controls the informationalal structure of our consciousness and
maintains the stability of this structure.The DRP is,very probably,a
system which controls the intensity of metabolism in those zones which
give rise to consciousness.When metabolic activity is low in these
zones,then we have our normal structure of cousciousness.The structure of
consciousness is also called a "pixelisation pattern"(motif de
pixélisation,in French).When metabolic activity becomes elevated,then our
consciousness disso
lves into a mosaic of unrelated informational events.During our waking
time,the DRP maintains a low metabolism in the zones of our brain
responsible for consciousness.So the DRP(and also the Attenuator!)is a
metabolic modulator.Understanding how the DRP works is understanding many
different states of consciousness,from the normal waking type of
consciousness to the dream or schizophrenic types of consciousness.The
functioning of the DRP and the Attenuator are interelated.Depending on
these interelations
you will get different states of consciousness.There is also another
system which is fundamental in order to understand different states of
consciousness.It is called the S.B.E.M(système de blocage des éfférences
motrices)in French and I will keep the same acronym in English.

Different states of consciousness are generated via the mutual
interactions of the Attenuator,DRP and S.B.E.M.

The way the DRP,the Attenuator and the S.B.E.M work together determines
differents states of consciousness,depending upon the states of activity
or inactivity of these integrated structures.
For instance, the normal waking state of consciousness will be defined
likewise:
Attenuator:Active
DRP:Active
S.B.E.M:Inactive
The normal dreaming state will,thus,be:
Attenuator:Inactive
DRP:Inactive
S.B.E.M:Active
The conscious dream state will be:
Attenuator:Inactive
DRP:Active
S.B.E.M:Active
The hallucinatory schizophrenic state will be:
Attenuator:Active
DRP:Inactive
S.B.E.M:Inactive
The non-hallucinatory schizophrenic state will be:
Attenuator:Active
DRP:Inactive
S.B.E.M:Inactive
Hallucinatory states, drug induced, will be:
Attenuator:More or less inactive
DRP:Active
S.B.E.M:Inactive
 Make yourself proficient in conscious dreams as this will be the next
human revolution to come,a revolution as important as the discovery of
fire or of writing.

Continuity and Discontinuity of Consciousness
The main characteristic of the dream and schizophrenic state of
consciousness is discontuinity.When we are awake our consciousness is
continuous and this is the reason why we can express ourselves in a
verbally "logical" way.On the contrary the consciousness of the
schizophrenic or the dreamer is made of continuous and discontinuous
parts,alternatively.The nature of these discontinuities come from the way
our memory is organised and structured.Biological memories are not
sequential memories:they store in
formation both in a continuous and discontinuous way.Discontuinity comes
from the fact that our memory classifies information through
motifs,patterns.In fact,the brain has nothing to do with the computer
analogy as a brain is,actually,a pattern analyser not a sequential
analyser like computers.Computers will become intelligent only when they
will work as artificial pattern analysers.As long as they will work
sequentially they will continue to be complete imbeciles,just machines!
Our memory so stores information according to patterns.For instance
spherical objects will be stored in the same memory area,triangular
objects will be stored in their own memory area,etc.
An area which stores homologous pattern is called,in French,a "Domaine
d'homologie motifielle" which may be translasted as  "homologous pattern
domain".For instance all the heads off people we have seen in our life
are stored in a common homologous pattern domain which can be called,for
convenience,a "pattern domain of heads"!
In the consciousness of normal people,those domains are,always,in a very
low metabolic state.Thus,the patterns stored in these domains do not
RADIATE outside.Metabolically inactive patterns,then,do not enter into
consciousness making our consciousness rather continuous.If the metabolic
status of these domains is increased,then these domains start to radiate
in all directions of our memory,introducing discontinuity,as our
consciousness will start to flow according to pattern homologies.This can
be very we
ll observed with the psychotropic cannabinoids as
cannabinoids,specifically,enhance the metabolism of homologous pattern
domains thus giving rise to the typical discontinuous thoughts of a
person intoxicated with cannabinoids.This,in fact,is the beginning of
madness as pure madness will be characterised by a still higher metabolic
activity in these domains.The thoughts of  schizophrenics will so
be,essentially,discontinuous and this discontinuity will ,naturally,put
them  in a state of total confusion as
 their consciousness will,then,become ILLUSIONISED.

The Illusionised Consciousness
When your consciousness is illusionised you can no longer recognise what
you perceive from exoreality. To be properly conscious of an exogenous
pattern this specific pattern should be compared to its endogenous
counterpart stored in our memory.If is is,erroneously,compared to a
different pattern then our consciousness is illusionised:we are no more
in adequation with the external(exogenous)reality.This is the essence of
madness.
When homologous pattern domains are very active metabolically then proper
recognition of exogenous patterns is disturbed and consciousness becomes
"fragmented" because it,in fact,radiates in different stored homologous
patterns.So,schizophrenia is a state of hypermnesia.There is a limit to
the quantity of homologous patterns which can be recalled per unit of
time.When this limit is crossed,then we become crazy or we start,also,to
dream!This means that no drug will ever be invented which could intensify
ur recalls indefinitely as indefinite recall just generates consciousness
radiation,that is confusion! Cannabinoids are memory enhacers but,under
their influence,we remember so many things that we just forget them
nearly as soon as we have remembered them!!! To the outside observer,this
looks like amnesia but this is,actually,hypermnesia.

When two forms of drug-induced amnesia mutually cancel...
-------------
This explains why the combination of benzodiazepines and cannabinoids(two
molecules inducing "amnesia")can lead to mutual suppression of their
side-effects on memory as benzodiazepines lower metabolism,meaning that
they also diminish consciousness radiation.By adjusting the doses of a
benzodiazepine(like clonazepam,for instance)and of a cannabinoid you can
enhance your recall abilities without falling into pseudo-amnesia,and get
interesting scientific or philosophical insights.
Introspective observation with cannabinoids gives you a good
understanding of the dreaming,or schizophrenic,mind  as cannabinoids
are,primarily,illusiogenic molecules.You do not get the same insight with
hallucinogens as hallucinations and illusions are completely different
phenomena.An illusion is a state in which an exogenous pattern is not
correctly identified while a hallucination is a state in which you
perceive something which just exists in your memory.In an hallucination
you memory adds something
 to the exogenous perceived reality while in an illusion your memory
wrongly identifies an exogenous pattern.
Illusions are fundamental in order to understand the oneiric and
schizophrenic states of consciousness.
The only known illusiogens are,till now,the psychotropic cannabinoids.
Cannabinoids have a lot of properties different from the
hallucinogens.For instance,they disrupt the speed of attenuation.This
speed is decreased under cannabinoids and this phenomenon gives rise to
"time dilatation" observed under these drugs.
Time perception is strongly modulated by serotonin.For instance,the
specific serotonin re-uptake blockers,such as fluvoxamine or
zimelidine,suppress the perception of time as thoughts are decreased in
consciousness.The number of spontaneous thoughts per unit of time is
essential in our subjective perception of time flow.When we have few
thoughts per unit of time,then time flow seems slowed.On the
contrary,when we have a lot of thoughts per
unit of time,then time flow seems augmented.
Okay!More next time!
Claude Rifat,using Kenneth Grandchamp's account!