Simple test for ADD????? Just a theory

Bonnie G. Martin bonbon at cruzio.com
Tue Nov 21 13:55:43 EST 1995

In article <pppnic.122.001C0CCC at actrix.gen.nz>, pppnic at actrix.gen.nz (Nic
Cave-Lynch) wrote:

> >   You want to check out everything you can rather than just accepting a
> >   "pop" diagnosis.  A friend of mine was told by her son's fourth grade
> >   teacher at a Los Angeles public elemntary school that he would not be
> >   allowed to come to school unless he had a Ritalin Rx for what *she*
> >   thought was ADD.

Not only is this unethical, it's downright illegal.  The teacher and
principal ought to have their butts sued.  My experience has been that
they will continue this kind of behavior when the next "problem child"
comes along.

Not only is it entirely inappropriate for a teacher to diagnose and
prescribe medication,  it is ILLEGAL to exclude a child from school on the
basis on their (presumed) disability.  Heard of the ADA?

Bonnie G. Martin
School Psychologist