A new take on mental illness(Was Re: discovery of dopamine...)

Ron Blue rcb1 at LEX.LCCC.EDU
Tue Nov 21 09:18:07 EST 1995

On 19 Nov 1995, David Bovee wrote:
> >Could it be that these diseases have causes oposite to the
> >usual explaination.
>>>>CUT>>>>
> >>j.e.cox at cranfield.ac.uk
> >
> >John E. Cox
> >

> 	I think to address the issue, one needs to look at the pathologic
> mechanism.  The pathology somehow affects the homeastatic regulatory
> mechanisms, so the issue becomes one of pathologic control rather than the
> homeostatic control.

The history of science suggest we make more progress by study HOW and WHY
the brain does what it does.  The homeostatic control is basic.
Agreed the pathology has disrupted the homeostatic control but LESS
of a neurotransmitter can be cause by MORE of another neurotransmitter.

Perhaps antibodies against the more would be more effective than more of
the less.  If the homeostatic control is working even under pathology then
giving more of the less only INCREASE the the neurotransmitter inhibiting
the less which worsens the disease process!

Ron Blue