Neuroscience/Neurology

David dhe at eden.rutgers.edu
Wed Nov 22 12:53:39 EST 1995

fort at ura1195-6.univ-lyon1.fr (FORT Patrice) writes:

>This message is dedicated to the administrator of this newsgroup.
>Isn't it possible to create two separate and well targeted newsgroups, one
>for pure Neuroscience questions and remarks (fundamental brain researchs
>in animals for example)  and one concerning neurologic aspects (human
>diseases or pharmacological treatments). I think it would be of particular
>interest and more useful for the readers to separe these very different
>thinks. What is your opinion?

I'm no administrator, but I have an opinion.  My opinion is that that
dichotomy is already far too prevalent in journals, meetings, and
other forums for the exchange of neuroscience-related information.  I
don't think it does much for productivity--unless the goal of research
with rodents or tissue slices is simply to arrive at an understanding
of rodents and tissue slices.

I've known neuroscientific researchers who know almost nothing about
the neuropsychological manifestations of brain disease in humans.  And
I've known clinicians who know almost nothing about (for example) LTP.
Isn't it time that these two species began reading one another's
journals, attending one another's meetings, and browsing one another's
newsgroups?

--David