Aluminum Cookware Hazards??

COLLEEN M. SPECHT v102nq9f at ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu
Wed Nov 22 11:02:01 EST 1995

To which agnew at gems.vcu.edu (Brainwave Surfer) replied:

>Can't help you there, little wheelchair ruler, but my brother used to be
>a professional chef before his stroke, and he never cooked in aluminum for
>high quality, it does turn the food's taste, he said.  i never could tell
>the diff, but he could.  I used to use a aluminum pot, but cooked holes in
>it, so the aluminum does go *somewhere*.  Whether it does stay in the
>body versus "passin' thru" I'd very much like to know too.

i rememeber when i was starting grad school ('89) a popular theory of one
etiology of alzheimer's was aluminum toxicity to the brain.  there was one
published study i recall which showed accumulation of aluminum in the neural
plaques (i think).

however, recently (i.e. within the year) i recall reading that that particular
research team had discovered that they had aluminum residue in their glassware
or contaminated saline (or something) -- rendering all of their findings
meaningless.

does anyone remember this retraction or report?  apparently i didn't think
enough of it to copy it -- but i figure it is something i would have (for a
methods class or stats class showing the null to be false when it was
(apparently) true).

maybe it was just a comment or short piece somewhere - probably in science.

if you know, i would appreciate it!!

thanks,

colleen specht