Aspartame (Nutrasweet) Labelling Need?

Marjorie A. Lundquist marjorie at omnifest.uwm.edu
Sat Nov 25 16:27:22 EST 1995

 U.S. soft drink manufacturers do indeed put a warning to sufferers of
phenylketonuria on their cans of "diet" drinks, which contain aspartame--
but not *every* drink containing aspartame carries such a warning!  The
Coca Cola Company sells Tab, a soft drink which contains saccharin--and
also aspartame!  There is no warning to phenylketonurics on cans of Tab,
even though the label says the drink inside contains aspartame.
 I presume that this means the warning is given only when the concentra-
tion of aspartame exceeds a certain level.  Tab must contain much less
aspartame than the usual "diet" soft drinks, such as Diet Coke.
 Do phenylketonurics require a warning, no matter how much--or how little--
aspartame is in the food product?  I don't know.  It would be interesting
to learn whether the soft drink manufacturers have put the warning on their
product to satisfy the FDA, or to meet an internal industry standard.
 The cans of Tab give the concentration of saccharin in the drink.  I wonder
why they don't give this same information for aspartame?  Maybe no one has
requested that they do so.  --  Marjorie