THEY KNEW THE GUN WAS LOADED! NUTRASWEET

Jan Six Jan.Six at uku.fi
Sat Nov 25 16:10:42 EST 1995

To whomsoever it may concern,

-----------------------forwarded message follows----------------------

                             Ban Dihydrogen Monoxide!

                               The Invisible Killer

Dihydrogen monoxide is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and kills uncounted
thousands of people every year. Most of these deaths are caused by
accidental inhalation of DHMO, but the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide do
not end there. Prolonged exposure to its solid form causes severe tissue
damage.  Symptoms of DHMO ingestion can include excessive sweating and
urination, and possibly a bloated feeling, nausea, vomiting and body
electrolyte imbalance. For those who have become dependent, DHMO withdrawal
means certain death.

Dihydrogen monoxide:

   * is also known as hydroxl acid, and is the major component of acid
     rain.
   * contributes to the "greenhouse effect."
   * may cause severe burns.
   * contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
   * accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
   * may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of
     automobile brakes.
   * has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.

Contamination Is Reaching Epidemic Proportions!

Quantities of dihydrogen monoxide have been found in almost every stream,
lake, and reservoir in America today. But the pollution is global, and the
contaminant has even been found in Antarctic ice. DHMO has caused millions
of dollars of property damage in the midwest, and recently California.

Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:

   * as an industrial solvent and coolant.
   * in nuclear power plants.
   * in the production of styrofoam.
   * as a fire retardant.
   * in many forms of cruel animal research.
   * in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains
     contaminated by this chemical.
   * as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.

Companies dump waste DHMO into rivers and the ocean, and nothing can be
done to stop them because this practice is still legal. The impact on
wildlife is extreme, and we cannot afford to ignore it any longer!

The Horror Must Be Stopped!

The American government has refused to ban the production, distribution, or
use of this damaging chemical due to its "importance to the economic health
of this nation." In fact, the navy and other military organizations are
conducting experiments with DHMO, and designing multi-billion dollar
devices to control and utilize it during warfare situations. Hundreds of
military research facilities receive tons of it through a highly
sophisticated underground distribution network. Many store large quantities
for later use.

                             It's Not Too Late!

Act NOW to prevent further contamination. Find out more about this
dangerous chemical. What you don't know can hurt you and others throughout
the world.
--------------------------end forward--------------------------------

Please Note: This is neither a flame nor a troll. I post this in the
hope that people will take some time to think over the meaning of this
and similar "appeals". It is not my intention to ridicule anyone's
honest and possibly legitimate concerns. I doubt there are people who
would fail to see the point by their own devices after perusing the
above text, but just in case:

Legitimate concerns about public health are commendable in and of
themselves. They are, however, most emphatically not helped by
panicmongering any more than they are by close-mindedness. Those
who believe so are damaging their own cause and, if their concerns
*are* justified, the cause of us all.

Small note: I am not the author of the text marked as "forwarded" and
claim no rights on it. It was forwarded to me without mention of the
original author or any copyright notice. Fair use is assumed to apply.

Jan Six           |"It is a hypothesis that the sun will rise in the
                  | morning. This means we don't _know_ it will rise"
Jan.Six at uku.fi    |                         - Ludwig Wittgenstein

It's my real name.|"Actually, now that you come to mention it..."
Honest.           |                         - Nikolaus Copernicus