Simple test for ADD????? Just a theory

Brad DeLaruelle LNUSCSI.bdelar01 at eds.com
Mon Nov 27 17:09:23 EST 1995

I have an 8 year old son who has been diagnosed with ADHD by a very
reputable pediatric neurologist.  He has been on a mild dose of ritalin
for a year and a half.  His behavior at school and his ability to learn
and concentrate have really improved, as well as his grades.  I have
2 problems now.  (1) He realizes that he has to have this medicine and
so do other kids.  They are making fun of him a lot, and about the
tutoring he receives, driving his self-esteem into the ground.  He has
a very hard time making and keeping friends.  (2) My health insurance
will no longer pay for Doctor's appointments.  While, as my Doctor as
written to the insurance carrier director, ADHD is a medical condition,
the diagnosis code for the office call falls into the 31000 series.  This
makes the diagnosis a phsychological one in the insurers eyes.  His
office calls are then treated as "group sessions", and has a limit of
5 sesions.  Subsequently, after his 5th office call, none of the visits
to the doctor are covered (my son goes quarterly).  I have called my
insurance carrier, who is unyeilding on the acceptance of the 31000
series as pshycological.  The doctor's office says their hands are tied.
I could use some help and advice.  Thanks.