Brain reward systems and social interaction

Alan J. Robinson robin073 at maroon.tc.umn.edu
Wed Nov 29 07:45:13 EST 1995

On Thu, 23 Nov 1995 20:23:57 -0800,
Coolray Hollywood   <pvollrat at icogsci1.ucsd.edu> wrote:

>On 18 Nov 1995, JAppel2188 wrote:
>
>> Social interaction must involve brain reward systems in the amygdala,
>> hippocampus and septal regions.  Is any one interested in this
>> relationship, or have any information about it?
>>

>Actually, David Brin asked an audience on Nov 17 at UCSD, for information
>to confirm his suspicions that women goo-gooing a baby in a carriage are
>getting an neurotransmitter fix of some kind or another.
>
>How do we go about examining this hypothesis?

I don't know specifically about social interaction, but brain reward
mechanisms have been the subject of an enormous amount of research,
with a lot of it taking place in the San Diego area.  One important
mechanism is dopamine in the nucleus accumbens, thought to play a
role in cocaine addiction.  Bonidng between mother and infant is also
believed to involved the hormone oxytocin.

Floyd Bloom, head of the Neuropharmacology dept. at Scripps, and now
Editor-in-Chief of Science, has published in this area.

AAJR