spinal cord injury info

Crista L. Adamson cadamson at rci.rutgers.edu
Tue Nov 28 17:06:36 EST 1995

In article <m0tJd0Q-001BqbC at passport.ca>, nancym at PASSPORT.CA wrote:

>my is a c5,6 quad as a result of mva only 10 months ago.
>She as remain at home to have private rehab, rather then
>being in an institution.Her P.T.& O.T. who work in conjunction
>with Lyndhurst rehab hospital say that she is fonctionally
>at a complete c6 level and would have acheived this goal
>at the same rate of time had she been in the rehab hospital.
>Would you have any info are explanations on how independant
>she will be are could be and is there any operations, devices,
>technologys are further development in finding a cure in
>the spinal cord injury  area.
>
>Any information you have would be greatly appriciated
>
>Thank you
>
>Mike

Dear Mike,
I am a c5/c6 quad; incomplete only b/c i have some use of my triceps.
Operations i had were a tendon transfer in one arm so that i could
contract my thumb and grip heavier objects (do laundry).  Also, bladder
surgery so i could cath intermittently instead of using a foley catheter.

Functionally, she may be able to get around in a manual w/c as long as
there are no hills.  Balance will improve/time so dressing may happen.
Transfers and bathroom care (which require transfers) if she has no
triceps are likely impossible.  If she was able to eventyally do these
things, it would be very fatiguing, is it worth it?  Although it is
incredibly annoying having an aid, it may free up her energy to do other
things like enjoy life.  Maybe try only an aid in the am for dressing and
bath etc and work on transfer into bed and undressing.  This will be
impossible for a long time until she gains strength and balance....
patience  it does get easier w/time

crista

--

Crista Adamson