another edorphin question

Gerald Pollack gpollack at bio1.lan.mcgill.ca
Wed Nov 29 09:33:32 EST 1995

In article <199511281311.IAA02518 at kafka-s2.delphi.com> orgera at mci.newscorp.com (DAN GULLOTTI) writes:
>From: orgera at mci.newscorp.com (DAN GULLOTTI)
>Subject: another edorphin question
>Date: 28 Nov 1995 05:15:40 -0800

>I have a question that I hope you can help me with. I recieved this question
>from one of my professors and I am supposed to write a couple of paragraphs
>on it. Here it is:

>Beta Endorphins are ENDOgenous, mORPHINe-like compounds produced by the
>brain that function as natural pain killers. Describe the production of
>B-endorphin from DNA to neuropeptide. Include DNA sequence data and amino
>acid sequence data.

>If you could give me any information, or alternative web sites where I could
>get the data, I would really appreciate it.

I know that this might sound somewhat old-fogyish and reactionary, but I would
guess that your professor intended for you to get this information from more
traditional sources, i.e. books and journals. I can think of at least two
reasons why this would be a good idea. (1) By ACTIVELY looking for this
information, i.e. by searching through biological abstracts, your library's
catalog, etc., rather than by asking for help right from the start, you will
learn how to find the information you need yourself; (2) books and journals
carry greater authority than most of the information on the net because
unlike most of the latter they have been edited, i.e. reviewed by experts,
checked for inaccuracies, etc. The internet is great, and certainly has its
uses, but this sounds more like a job for the good old, hard-copy, library.