another edorphin question

Kalifa juschus at novsrv1.pio1.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Nov 29 12:13:45 EST 1995

In article <gpollack.41.00098F6A at bio1.lan.mcgill.ca>, gpollack at bio1.lan.mcgill.ca
says...

>In article <199511281311.IAA02518 at kafka-s2.delphi.com> orgera at mci.newscorp.com (
>DAN GULLOTTI) writes:
>>From: orgera at mci.newscorp.com (DAN GULLOTTI)
>>Subject: another edorphin question
>>Date: 28 Nov 1995 05:15:40 -0800
>>I have a question that I hope you can help me with. I recieved this question
>>from one of my professors and I am supposed to write a couple of paragraphs
>>on it. Here it is:
>>Beta Endorphins are ENDOgenous, mORPHINe-like compounds produced by the
>>brain that function as natural pain killers. Describe the production of
>>B-endorphin from DNA to neuropeptide. Include DNA sequence data and amino
>>acid sequence data.
>>If you could give me any information, or alternative web sites where I could
>>get the data, I would really appreciate it.

>I know that this might sound somewhat old-fogyish and reactionary, but I would
>guess that your professor intended for you to get this information from more
>traditional sources, i.e. books and journals. I can think of at least two
>reasons why this would be a good idea. (1) By ACTIVELY looking for this
>information, i.e. by searching through biological abstracts, your library's
>catalog, etc., rather than by asking for help right from the start, you will
>learn how to find the information you need yourself; (2) books and journals
>carry greater authority than most of the information on the net because
>unlike most of the latter they have been edited, i.e. reviewed by experts,
>checked for inaccuracies, etc. The internet is great, and certainly has its
>uses, but this sounds more like a job for the good old, hard-copy, library.

NOT true ! first the original poster did not ask for a ready made
answer, he asked for hints and suggestions where to look.

Secondly, I have obtained a lot of useful info by asking questions
like his, and saved myself the walk to the library.

Thirdly, I have answered a lot of questions like these myself, and
was happy to help somebody out, with my own expertise in certain
areas (must admit, i can hardly contribute to his question).

Fourthly I would be happy if one of my students would develop the
initiative to write to the net: most of them are so scared of a
keyboard that they prefer to spend thrice as long in the library,
valuable time that could be spend on experiments...

And in the fifth place: I think that in the future, if any of us has
any question at all about any subject, THE NET is the place to go
first. Forget books, they are a thing of the past.

clemens