Question about brain states

Jeff Donkersgoed jpdonker at electrical.watstar.uw.ca
Thu Nov 30 12:28:15 EST 1995

Hi.  I have a brother who is now fifteen years old and has a severe problem
with his memory.  His short term memory for some reason is incredibly bad.  For
example, it was his birthday not too long ago and my parents were going to take
him and a bunch of friends bowling, which he really likes to do (he is not very
independant).  Ten minutes later, he will already have forgotten that the
conversation had even taken place and will try to guess what was said.

We have taken him in for a CAT scan as well as an EEG.  The doctor said that he
couldn't really explain what he found.  Although David (my brother) is always
alert and sleeps well at night, his EEG showed what the doctor said was the
brain state of a drowsy person.  I'm not quite sure what the results of the CAT
scan was, but the doctor said that his brain didn't develop properly when my
mother was pregnant.

As well, David has recently showed signs of kind of "spacing out".  I think
this usually happens when he is under a lot of stress.  What he does is he
plugs his nose and puffs out his cheeks, but he says he doesn't smell anything
when I ask him.  His voice at these times sounds very sleepy.  Could this be a
sign of a seizure?

If anyone could shed some light on any of these problems, it would be greatly
appreciated.  Thanks.