neuroethology classics

kevin k-mckenna at nwu.edu
Mon Oct 2 17:08:39 EST 1995

In article <44ph2b$ms3 at crab.rutgers.edu>, saidel at crab.rutgers.edu (William
Saidel) wrote:

  > I am collecting classics in neuroethology for a class.
  >
  > Send me the title of your favorite classic to aid me in
  > broadening my title list. Many thanks,

Martin Schein edited a series of books called Benchmark Papers in Animal
Behavior, published by Dowden, Hutchinson and Ross, Stroudsburg, PA (I
never heard of this publisher either). These are a collection of reprints
of classic papers with some short notes by the editors. The volumes are:

Hormones and Sexual Behavior
Territory
Social Hierarchy and Dominance
Critical Periods
Mimicry
Imprinting
Vertebrate Social Behavior

I have Hormones and Sexual Behavior. It's great for the older literature
(dating back to Brown-Sequard. It was published in 1974, so the new
"classics" aren't in there.