temporal memory

Stephan Verbeeck Stephan.Verbeeck at ping1.ping.be
Sat Oct 7 12:01:55 EST 1995

On Thu, 5 Oct 1995 "John E. Anderson" <jander at unf6.cis.unf.edu> wrote:
> (After I wrote)

>> The hypocalamus is
>> doing this.   The amount of pulses put out by the hypocalamus is more or
>> less constant over short periods so that the amount of strings that can
>> be "kept alive" is also more or less constant.

>What is the "hypocalamus", the hypothalamus?

More or less.  You will not find it as a separate organ mentioned in books.
That is because it is rather an information processing system then an organ.  It
contains the major part of the hippocampus (which is the actual pulse-source)
including the cingulate gyris.  So in fact if you say hypothalamus you are
looking at the right place.  But the system also contains all out-going nerves
from the thalamus to all "reasoning" parts at the surface of the neocortex and
that is a huge amount of connections!  There are also several small regulating
organs involved like the mamillary bodies and olfactory bulbs of the limbic
system.  Sorry for not sharing that with you before but I thought it would only
confuse you.  The reader (yes that is you) probably doesn't need all these names
to grasp the principle and the need for a pulse source to feed thoughts in and
during absence of external stimuli.  Without it higher reasoning fails because
reasoning stops when the external stimuli will stop.  Without it "running
simulations" of real or fantasized interactions with the environment can not
take place.  In general the pulse-source will activated what is associated
(happens together with of after) with the currently activated neurons so that
impressions (focus of thoughts) shifts in a "story-like way" like it was
recorded (connections build to strings) before.  Like this the pulse-source will
cause previous experiences to "replay" over and over again and this until it is
turned off (sleep/damage).  Like this a previous interaction can be improved
BEFORE the real next interaction takes place and that is what helps us survive
or to put it in other words why nature developed brains.

    EMAIL TO: Stephan.Verbeeck at ping.be     ---------------------
    ADDRESS : Helderbeekstraat      41      Life is but a dream
              3582   Koersel (Belgium)     ---------------------
    TEL     : 011/42.16.46