Ethanol fixation in BrdU immunohistochemistry?

Brian Scott scott at psych.toronto.edu
Mon Oct 16 10:51:09 EST 1995

Hello all,

I've been looking into bromodeoxyuridine immunohistochemistry for labeling
neuronal precursors and I've noticed that many of the papers mention using
ethanol to fix the tissue and not something like paraformaldehyde.  I've been
given a method to follow which uses Lana's fixative which includes
paraformaldehyde and picric acid (yikes!) and I've been wondering if ethanol
would do just as well.  I've never heard of just using ethanol before.  Does
anyone know if it's ok?  Thanks.

Brian

--
Brian Scott                   | "They are in you and in me; they created us,
Department of Psychology      |  body and mind; and their preservation is