Effects of Electrical Shocks?

John Moulder jmoulder at post.its.mcw.edu
Thu Oct 19 15:44:02 EST 1995

In article <1995Oct18.211323.24488 at driftwood.cray.com>, ppalmer at cray.com (Pete
Palmer) writes:

> I'm hoping that someone out there knows of any literature --
> books, articles, reports -- concerning the short and longterm effects
> of electrical shocks.

These is an extensive literature.

> I'm asking on behalf of my Uncle, who has checked many libraries in
> the Pittsburg area without finding anything.

He's probably looking in the wrong place, or in the wrong libraries.  You need
a medical library, and you need to do a computer search on "electrical
injuries"

> He is really wondering if this electrocution years ago could be the
> cause, since there has not been any other event in his life that could
> be considered a cause for this.

I have no idea, but if you're willing to plow through the literature, you can
probably find out for yourself.

Beware, however, this is literature written for by physicians and for
physcians, so it will be heavy going.

Some places to start:

Browne BJ, Gaasch WR: Electrical injuries and lightning. Emergency Medicine
Clinics of North America.  10(2):211-29, 1992.

Patten BM: Lightning and electrical injuries.  Neurologic Clinics.
10(4):1047-58, 1992.

Fish R: Electric shock, Part I: Physics and pathophysiology.  Journal of
Emergency Medicine.  11(3):309-12, 1993.

Fish R: Electric shock, Part II: Nature and mechanisms of injury. Journal of
Emergency Medicine.  11(4):457-62, 1993.

Pliskin NH, Meyer GJ et al: Neuropsychiatric aspects of electrical injury. A
review of neuropsychological research.  Annals of the New York Academy of
Sciences.  720:219-23, 1994.

Vazquez D, Solano I et al: Thoracic disc herniation, cord compression, and
paraplegia caused by electrical injury: case report and review of the
literature.  Journal of Trauma.  37(2):328-32, 1994.

Carleton SC: Cardiac problems associated with electrical injury. Cardiology
Clinics.  13(2):263-6, 1995.

John Moulder (jmoulder at its.mcw.edu)
Radiation Biology Group
Medical College of Wisconsin