melatonin safety (fwd)

Steve Gill skg at northcoast.com
Sat Oct 21 16:50:01 EST 1995

stephan at psych.ucla.edu (Stephan Anagnostaras) wrote:

>In article <Pine.3.89.9510110801.D21901-0100000 at lex.lccc.edu>,
>rcb1 at LEX.LCCC.EDU (Ron Blue) wrote:

That can be said for just about any psychoactive material. They all
bind all over the place. I guess downregulation is a possibility, but
if it (melatonin) is taken infrequently, or in small doses I doubt it
can be harmful, especially if it is taken near bedtime (as directed).
Note that I'm not a proponent py any means, but many of the studies
I've looked at seem to indicate that it can be quite useful for
resetting circadian rhythms in cases of "jet lag", etc. However, I
agree that it is overpromoted and certainly should be researched
thoroughly before one starts a regimen.....