NMDA again

Sandra L Wegert sandraw at U.Arizona.EDU
Sat Oct 21 21:48:40 EST 1995

Right, agonists at this receptor can be neurotoxic.  Glutamate (ie, MSG)
is suspected to be toxic to the brain because it overexcites these
receptors.  As an aside, I personally doubt that (much) MSG crosses the
blood-brain barrier in healthy adult humans (it does in babies,
however) when given in the concentrations found in food.  Please, correct
me on this, I'm playing devil's advocate a little here.