ADD-College-Neuroscience

Matthew Russell Lean mrl at nyc.pipeline.com
Sun Oct 22 23:12:03 EST 1995

Hello! My name is Matthew Lean and currently I am a Senior at Lynbrook High
School. I am currently applying to colleges and universities and am looking
into a major in Neuroscience. The ironic thing is that I have ADD and my
total mean grades are not at the level that they are at now (knowing about
my ADD, no medication i might add) and not at the level of my IQ of 133. I
was wondering if there is anything that I can do to help myself be accepted
to colleges and universities. I am not looking for an easy way out. I
turned down ritalin and cognitive therapy so i can train myself, and my
grades have shot up from mid-high 80's to mid-high 90's in AP and Honors
classes. If i was just ranked on my grades my Senior year I would be in the
top 6 of my class, but including my previous years (not knowing about ADD)
I am number 72. Is there anything I can do to help my applications? FYI: I
am applying to Brown, Boston Univ., Brandies, Colgate (Early), American,
SUNY Buffalo, SUNY Binghamton, SUNY Albany, Duke, Syracuse, Drew and
Oxford. If I apply to a school with a decent Neuroscience section, would
they have any special counceling for me, and would they weigh my situation
during the admission process?
I would appreciate any comments or suggestions. Please e-mail me at
mrl at pipeline.com.
Also does anyone know of any internships in the NYC - Long Island area  in
the afternoon or on weekends? It doesn't have to be an internship. It can
be a lackey position... NO pay necessary at all, just a chance to hang
around people who know about neuroscience, and i can therefore pick some of
it up.

Thank You and I appreciate you taking your time out for me.
Matthew Lean
mrl at pipeline.com    mrl at nether.net    k12lylzm at vaxd.hofstra.edu
"Nothing is impossible; there are ways that lead to everything, and if we
had sufficient will we should always have sufficient means. It is often
meerly for an excuse that we say things are impossible."
-Fran ois de la Rochefoucauld