ADD and Ritalin

Jason Kennerly jkenner at cello.gina.calstate.edu
Mon Sep 25 11:19:57 EST 1995

rcb1 at LEX.LCCC.EDU (Ron Blue) writes:
> Caffiene may help.  Caffiene block A1 receptor but not A2 receptors
> for adosine (sp).  Ginger may help since it has anti-nauseua effect.

Are you sure about this??? I was under the impression that caffeine was
active as an antagonist at both A1 and A2 receptors - and that it
differs from other xanthines in that it inhibits PDE less... feedback is
on this is appreciated as I am trying to gather data on N substituted
xanthines.

> Anti-nauseua medicine have been reported as helping ADHD.  This suggest
> that the thalmus is deeply involved in the problem.

Blah. The dopamine transporter itself is most likely to blame. There's
been research done to support this... I can get an abstract if needed but
cant seem to locate it on my messy hard drive right now...

In any case there is DEFINITLY a physical difference. Several years ago I
tried methamphetamine as a "recreational" drug, only to fall asleep...
Dexedrine did just the same thing. Ritalin seems to wake me up a little
bit, but still helps focus. I dont know WHY, just know that this is the
way it is for me... and that most people are physcially unable to sleep
on methamphetamine or other stimulants, while I sleep thru them easily
but do not sleep easily thru caffeine [without tolerance] or LSD-25, two
other drugs that postpone sleep but are not dopaminergics...

--
    /    \ |      \|   /\   |     \   jkenner at cello.gina.calstate.edu
  /___/\   \___|>   >       |__|>   > BORN TO BE WIRED...
 /         |       /   /\  |       /  All the sugar and twice the
 \_________|______/|___\/__|______/   caffeine of regular netusers!
 finger me and make a pgp key come.