ADD and Ritalin

S. Craig Hufford shufford at cctr.umkc.edu
Sat Sep 2 21:41:55 EST 1995

In article <sally-2608952124100001 at ts8-14.upenn.edu>,
sally at retina.anatomy.upenn.edu (Sally Shrom) wrote:

>Does anyone know exactly what is going wrong at the synapes of children or
>adults who have " attention deficit disorder"?  What does the drug Ritalin
>do in  the brain. I understand it is used to treat the disorder.
>
>   sally at retina.anatomy.upenn.edu

I don¹t mean to be argumentative, but it seems as though as an Adlerian, I
seem to have stumbled into the wrong newsgroup. Are you sure that ADD/ADHD
is a result of a neurochemical imbalance? I happen to have ADD, and I
THINK (ie, I have done no in-depth research on the neurochemical side)
that this disorder is a psychological disorder, ie. behavioral (I know,
doesn¹t really fit the Adlerian approach). Are we sure that it is not the
behaviors that are influencing the neurotransmission of the transmitters?
Kind of like a jogger that gets a ³runners high?² It isn¹t the endomorphs
that are the ultimate cause of this experience, but the behaviors of the
runner, ie, running, and jogging, that are ultimately responsible.

-Craig

--
I feel sorry for me of yesterday, as he did not know as much, experience as much, sleep as much, or eat as much as me of today.