Structure of the Optical Nerves ??

Raymond P. Young bq705 at torfree.net
Mon Sep 4 07:45:00 EST 1995

My guess is that it is still not possible, yet.  Experiments were started
in this area a number of years ago, but there have been problems
(ethical, technical, potential repercussions of making a surgical
error with a patient).  I would be surprised if this sees
fruition before 2000, and whether it is marketable after that.
This is my bet, though I may be a bit out of step.

R.P.Young, Ph.D.

kaim at pi.net wrote:

: Hi,

: I have studied Electronics.

: A friend of mine is blind on one eye. Isn't it possible
: To connect light sensors (or a complete optical camera chip)
: to the optical nerve in the eye ?
: I understood that there are milions of these nerve endings in the
: eye.

: I have heard of a similair connection to nerve cells involved with hearing.

: The brain automatically sorts out the information stream.

: I mean with my friend there is still an optical nerve. It's his eye
: that doen't work anymore.

: Is this a stupid idea, or is it simply too dificult to do ?

: What I'd like to know is how do the optic nerve cells pick up signals, and
: how do "bio sensors" in genaral work.

: Like touch and heat/cold sensations.

: I know it is a electrical/chemical process that starts somewhere.

: Fill me in.

: Ronald Kaim.