CNQX in brain

eva kornberg kornberg at bu.edu
Thu Sep 7 10:09:08 EST 1995

I am currently running an experiment in which I am infusing the glutamate
antagonist CNQX into the amygdalae of rats.  This substance is insoluble in
water, so I purchased it bound in a cyclodextrin vehicle for solubility
enhancement (2-hydroxypropyl-B-cyclodextrin:CNQX complex).  Other papers
I have read used dimethyl sulfoxide as a vehicle, but I had hoped that
this complex would be less toxic to the brains.  The recommended dilution
was 45%, but because I desired slightly more CNQX in a given volume, I use
a 50% dilution instead.  As I do the histology on the brains, I have found
significant brain damage at the tips of the cannulae tracts, and in some
animals, I have found complete loss of hippocampal tissue both proximal and
distal to the cannulae sites.  Is anyone out there familiar with CNQX and
or the cyclodextran complex?  It doesn't seem to me that the slight adjustment
to the dilution should cause such extensive damage, but I am hoping that
someone else might have knowledge of similar effects.  Any advice you can
give me as to this situation, or a more desirable means of delivering CNQX
to the amygdala would be greatly appreciated.  Responses here or to my email
would be great.    email  kornberg at bio.bu.edu

Thanks in advance for any and all advice,
Eva Polston
Boston University