Structure of the Optical Nerves ??

Jan Vorbrueggen jan at neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Sep 7 07:26:42 EST 1995

In article <42ldqb$n7b at nntp.crl.com> rising at a.crl.com (Hawley K. Rising III) writes:

   >The problem is: if the retina's gone, you have to mimick the
   >its function with a circuit/algorithm (I totally ignore interacing
   >difficulties here). The information compression factor is 126:1, a lot
   >of processing horsepower (well beyond any current/near future
   >supercomputer according to Moravec. And he's too optimistic, imo).

   Why is this information compression, and why is it beyond a supercomputer?
   I've seen no information which indicates that it goes 126:1 *retaining* all
   the information, only that its 126:1.

Right. And one would try to do a lot of the imitiation of retinal
preprocessing in analog hardware - no supercomputer required. Density is
another question. One could get approximately the same number of receptors on
the same area, and sheer size is also almost there (you can buy 2k by 2k CCDs,
that's only a factor of 30 below biology...). It would be a little difficult,
I guess, to imitate the different spectral sensitivities of the different
receptor types, I gues, if you mix them on the same chip. And then you have
the problem of producing a chip in the form of a speherical shell...

	Jan