Did anyone know whether the Epon-embedded nerve X-section tissue be re-used for immunocytochemistry

falvarez at desire.wright.edu falvarez at desire.wright.edu
Thu Sep 7 14:42:55 EST 1995

In article <boydjd-0509952124200001 at 160.129.89.20> boydjd at ctrvax.vanderbilt.edu (Jamie Boyd) writes:
>From: boydjd at ctrvax.vanderbilt.edu (Jamie Boyd)
>Subject: Re: Did anyone know whether the Epon-embedded nerve X-section tissue be
>re-used for immunocytochemistry
>Date: 6 Sep 1995 02:24:26 GMT

 We have succesfully used for immunocytocehmistry tissue that was almost 10
years old and processed for routine EM: Osmicated for an hour and embedded in
Epon/Araldite using routine procedures. Then we did immunocytochemistry in
postembedding using colloidal gold techniques and we were succesfull with
GABA, Substance P and CGRP antibodies. We did not try enough, but suspect it
will also work with glutamate antibodies.Howver many other antibodies never
worked. I guess you will need to try in your tissue, with your antigens and
your antibodies but it is definitively feasible in some situations.

Look for Alvarez et al., (1992) J. Neuroscience 12(8): 2901-2917
& Alvarez et al., (1193) J. Comp. Neurol. 329: 472-490

Inside we give references for the original procedures and discuss any pitfalls
or methodological questions we have encountered.

Francisco J. Alvarez
Research Assistant Professor
Wright State University
Dayton, OH