Neoronal Degeneration

I-Hsiung Tang ihtang at ucdavis.edu
Sat Sep 9 21:00:32 EST 1995

Recently, I have been working on a study regarding neuronal degeneration
after unilateral optic nerve transection.  I know there are Apoptosis kits
available in the market for determining cell death.  However, I would like
to try the traditional Nissl stainning to determine the degenerated
areas.  I appreciate any working protocol as well as the information on
how to determine dying or dead cells.  Things like the thickness I should
slice my tissue, timing of the stainning processes and the morphological
criteria of determining cell death, etc.

Thanks in advance.